ARTICLES & INTERVIEWS
Starlite Campbell Band Serve Up a Delicious ‘Blueberry Pie by JD Nash of American Blues Scene
- “Comeback der schönen Gefühle” by Klaus Fricke for Nordwest Zeitung (Germany in German)
- Q&A with Suzy Starlite & Simon Campbell - seasoned songwriters and musicians with a whirlwind musical romance by Michalis Limnios of Blues Greece Magazine (Greece)
- Starlite Campbell Band: Blueberry Pie by ‘Owl’ at Valencia 24/7
- Interview with the Starlite Campbell Band by Ian McKenzie of Blues in the South - subscriber only content (UK)
- Interview with Suzy Starlite and Simon Campbell by Graham Munn of Slap Magazine (UK)
- Blues duo reach for the stars and Manx Blues pair aim to conquer Europe by the Manx Independent
- Star Quality: Two page feature on Suzy Starlite in Bass Guitar Magazine
ALBUM: BLUEBERRY PIE
RADIO CHART POSITIONS
The band have received an incredible response to the album worldwide with radio play on thousands of specialist Blues and mainstream radio shows worldwide. These are the top positions achieved but the album has been featured at different positions in the respective charts.
- Voted album cover of the week on WRFG, Atlanta (USA)
- #1 in the Hit-Tracks Top 100, Week 50/51, December 2017 (Netherlands)
- #6 on the IBBA British Blues Charts, December 2016 (UK)
- #10 Australian Blues and Roots Airplay Charts International Blues Airplay Chart: November 2016 (Australia)
- #1 VALLEY FM 89.5 (Australia) Top 10 Indie tracks week three: December 2016
- #20 in Worldwide Independent Album Charts - Roots Music Report - Soul Blues Album Charts
- #6 Radio Indie Alliance charts January 2, 2017 (USA)
- PowerBlues album, January, 2017 - Collectif des Radio Blues (France)
VIDEO WORLD PREMIERE
- American Blues Scene - Walkin’ Out The Door - February 1, 2017
- See the SHOWS section of the website.
The only five star Blues review in the March/April edition of the mighty Rock 'n Reel Magazine by Morgan Hogarth... Amazing!!!
"For their debut release, Blueberry Pie, husband and wife team of Suzy Starlite (bass and vocals) and Simon Campbell (guitar and vocals) set out to rediscover the sounds of the 60s British blues and r’n’b ‘invasion’ – no mean feat given that this was delivered by artists of the calibre of Clapton, Bruce and Mayall. Yet in attempting this, they not only succeeded, but also created a terrific disc that may well become a modern classic.
‘Walkin’ Out The Door’ clearly has its roots in both Booker T’s Hammond B3 groove and Sonny Boy’s ‘Help Me’, but Clapton’s influences are also to the fore in Campbell’s guitar contribution. ‘Cry Over You’ could have been a Peter Green original, such is its intensity, while the title track is a sweet acoustic song that underscores the band’s versatility.
All eleven tracks are originals and the additional musicians in the form of drummer Steve Gibson, keyboard maestro Jonny Henderson and guest harpist, Danny Boy Sanchez, are simply superb. The soulful dance track ‘You’re So Good For Me’ sets the feet tapping, before gentle album closer ‘Thrill You’, as its title would suggest, pays homage to B.B. King, with Campbell’s fretwork again reminiscent of the great man.
Unquestionably Blueberry Pie is a stunning debut."
Morgan Hogarth: Rock 'n Reel Magazine - April 2017
Blueberry Pie has received over 50 four and five star reviews in the press worldwide. Here are some of the extracts:
- "Dare we say, their debut release on the Supertone label, Blueberry Pie, will be taking the Isles, nay, the world, by storm.” - JD Nash - American Blues Scene. USA
- “Loved It. I thought I was in the TARDIS, real Blues done 60s style. Whoohoo!” - John Lukasz, The Soul Kitchen, 3 Way FM, Australia
- “Starlite herself is a powerful bassist with a hugely enjoyable grip of laying down a rock-solid backbeat that at times spills out exuberantly to highlight her own ability and drive the tracks forward." - Iain Patience, Elmore Magazine. USA
- "This debut has the songwriting nous and musicianship to prick up your ears." - Classic Rock Magazine
- "Campbell has a real command of the instrument, delivering everything from bar room grit on “Empire” to testimonial bits of inspirations on the grieving “Cry Over You.” - Garrett Bethmann, Tahoe OnStage, USA
- "Together they have recorded a truly superb album that accurately picks up the vibe of the mid-late 60s British Blues scene. Yet this is no copycat rehash – it is as fresh and exciting as any new Blues, but with a serious salute to that older, highly influential, period. One of the best Blues albums that I’ve heard in a long time."- Phil TheMusic Quill, UK
- “Very impressive, some great rockin’ blues, fine musicianship and great sound and production.” - David Roman, The Mystery Train Radio Show, Australia
- "Blueberry Pie 'is an excellent debut of the Starlite Campbell Band. Strong songs played by great musicians." Walter Vanheuckelom, Blues Magazine, NL
- "Here is a fine and subtle record of which it emerges a beautiful energy full of good vibrations." Gilles Blampain, Blues Again, France
- "This is one fine piece of British Blues from the opening ‘Walkin’ Out The Door’ to the last with ‘Thrill You’. It looks as though 2017 is already starting with a greater sense of musical joi de vivre than 2016 and this album definitely adds to that. A real slice of the right attitude and great playing.” - Andy Snipper, Music News, UK
- "Stylish and riveting guitar playing!” - Jakob Wandam, Editor, Blues News, Denmark
- "A starry & hot recommendation for all music devotees, not only blues-heads!" Concert Monkey, Belgium
- “This is a great album with a lot of original compositions. I noticed that Simon Campbell is a great guitarist.” Jean-Louis Poirier, Du BLUES Sinon Rien, France
- "It has become an absolute thriller that we highly recommend you." Luc Meert, Rootstime, Belgium
- "Love the album" - Jipes, Kind of Blues Radio Show, France
- "Blueberry Pie" cooked to perfection and gilded just right. It can be tasted without fail!" Fred Delforge, Zicazak, France
- "This is an excellent debut disc with several standout tracks; I really look forward to seeing this band live." John Mitchell, Blues in Britain
- “This is the simmering passion to be proud of, this is the British blues at it’s best” Dmitry M Epstein, Let It Rock, Canada
- “IMHO, this is a potentially award winning album, that should be reaching an audience that other bands cannot reach!” Ian McKenzie, Blues in the South, UK
- “Just as the Rolling Stones are making huge waves with their 30th studio release, Blue & Lonesome, along come a couple of seasoned musicians w ho bring back the sound of early UK blues, to near perfection.” - JD Nash - American Blues Scene, USA